- 1 English
- 1.1 What are the supported systems?
- 1.2 How can I copy game ROMs?
- 1.3 Why is the cable so short?
- 1.4 Why doesn't it have a female scart connector?
- 1.5 I have a Sony Trinitron TV and red colors look muted.
- 1.6 Can I use the cable with Retropie, Recalbox or Lakka?
- 1.7 Why some games displays black bars or are a little off the screen?
- 1.8 What romsets are used by the different arcade emulators?
- 1.9 Which RPi models are supported?
- 1.10 Can I use RGB-Pi on a LCD TV or with some upscaler?
- 1.11 Can I connect a fan to the GPIO?
- 1.12 Can I connect a power switch or joystick through the GPIO?
- 1.13 Why the TV channel is not selected automatically?
- 1.14 Handheld games look very small.
- 1.15 I don't have sound.
- 1.16 Is it good playing with screen bezels enabled?
- 1.17 How can I create a backup of my favorites?
This FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) is oriented to the latest available version of the system RGB-Pi OS v2 Beta, the answers here may not be useful for previous versions.
What are the supported systems?
- Arcade Machines MAME/FBNeo (.zip)
- Atari 2600 (.a26 .rom)
- Atari 400/800/XL/XE/5200 (.a52 .atr .bas .car .dcm .xex .xfd)
- Atari 7800 (.a78)
- Atari LYNX (.lnx)
- WonderSwan (.ws)
- WonderSwan Color (.wsc)
- ColecoVision (.col)
- PC Engine (.pce)
- CD-ROM2 System (.ccd .chd .cue)
- Odyssey2 (.o2)
- Nintendo NES (.fds .nes)
- Famicom Disk System (.fds .nes)
- Super Nintendo (.sfc .smc)
- Nintendo 64 (.z64 .n64 .v64)
- Game Boy (.gb)
- Game Boy Color (.gbc)
- Game Boy Advance (.gba)
- SG-1000 (.sg), Master System (.sms)
- Megadrive (.gen .md .smd)
- Mega-CD (.chd .cue)
- Megadrive 32X (.32x)
- Game Gear (.gg)
- NEOGEO (.zip)
- NEOGEO Pocket (.ngp)
- NEOGEO Pocket Color (.ngc)
- NEOGEO CD (.cue .chd)
- PlayStation (.pbp .cue .cbn .img .iso .m3u)
- Amstrad CPC (.dsk)
- Atari ST (.st .stx .ipf)
- Commodore 64 (.crt .d64)
- Commodore Amiga (.uae)
- Commodore Amiga CD (.cue)
- x68000 (.m3u)
- MSX (.rom .mx1 .mx2)
- ZX Spectrum (.tap .tzx)
- ScummVM (.svm)
- MS-DOS (.conf)
How can I copy game ROMs?
Why is the cable so short?
Since the cable is unshielded, it can not exceed 25cm to avoid external interference. If you need a longer distance, you can use a scart male to female extension cable, but we cannot guarantee the same image quality as compared to directly connecting RGB-Pi cable to TV.
Why doesn't it have a female scart connector?
We liked the idea that only RGB-Pi is necessary.
Using a female connector would require an additional male to male cable.
Appart from the additional expense, it would result in a loss of quality depending on the cable extension used as explained in question 2.
I have a Sony Trinitron TV and red colors look muted.
In case of having a Sony Trinitron TV and noticing that red colors are displayed dark or brown please check here for more infoː Red color issue
Can I use the cable with Retropie, Recalbox or Lakka?
Yes, you can use it on any Raspberry Pi supported system, but be aware that these systems doesn't provide any kind of customization for displaying each system and/or game using the original resolution.
This will result in games being displayed using a fixed resolution and in many cases suffering of glitches, shuttering, and other image issues.
That said, if you really want to enable the cable use in any of these systems, you can find the instructions here: https://github.com/mortaca/RGB-Pi/blob/master/README.md
Why some games displays black bars or are a little off the screen?
Many games, even when played in the original system, have these problems because of the way they were originally developed.
Also, do note that CRT TVs are very different from LCD TVs. Each TV has a slightly different centering adjustment even when using same TV models, so there is not any universal configuration that fits 100% OK in all TVs.
You have three options for making TV adjustments:
- Make software image adjustments by using the image assistant tool provided from
Image > Image Adjustmentmenu option.
- Make image adjustments by using the (commonly hidden) service menu offered by many TV models. You can find out how to open your TV's service menu by searching in internet.
- Make physical adjustments to your TV (Warning - High Voltage). In many cases, applying some minor adjustments to the TV's yoke can fix many common issues.
What romsets are used by the different arcade emulators?
- fbneo v0.2.97.44
- advmame (MAME 0.106)
- mame2003-plus (MAME 0.78)
- mame2010 (MAME 0.139)
Which RPi models are supported?
RGB-Pi OS has been tested in RPi2, RPi3 and RPi3 Plus models.
Can I use RGB-Pi on a LCD TV or with some upscaler?
You can but there is no point on using the cable for non CRT TVs. For connecting to flat TVs, we recommend using the HDMI output and Lakka distribution.
Can I connect a fan to the GPIO?
Many people use fans connected to the 5v and GND GPIO pins. Unfortunately the RGB-Pi connector occupies these pins although does not use them so that:
- It is possible to solder a cable from behind if you have welding skills.
- Another option is to get the 5v from the USB port using a modified cable.
Can I connect a power switch or joystick through the GPIO?
It is not possible to connect any device to the GPIO port while the RGB-Pi is connected since almost all pins are used to take out the necessary 18 Bits for audio and video.
Why the TV channel is not selected automatically?
Important! This information is only valid if you are using the first revision of the RGB-Pi cable.
In order to automatically set the TV to RGB mode, it is necessary to supply 12V to the scart cable but the RPi can only supply 5v.
Some people have made modifications in their cable to introduce 12v in pin 8 of the scart. This is feasible using an external power supply or using of a step-up that takes 5v of the cable and make it 12v.
Doing any modification to the cable/RPi will be at your own risk. In case of proceeding, it is not necessary to lift pin 8 of the PCB since it is not connected to ground, and it is designed thus for possible modifications.
NEW! The new version of the cable that is now available from the website, has this feature built-in among other improvements.
Handheld games look very small.
The original resolution of portable consoles was very low, and since we try to keep PixelPerfect image display from all systems, this is the expected behavior.
I don't have sound.
Check that you don't have anything connected by HDMI. This deactivates the output by GPIO.
Is it good playing with screen bezels enabled?
It is recommended to disable such option since its continued use can burn-in the same on your TV / Arcade screen.
How can I create a backup of my favorites?
Both game list and favourites are stored in the rom folder. Whether you are using the SD or any external USB/NFS unit, you simply need to make copies of the